The Sounds of Sanskrit ~ London Workshop
The language of yoga
26th May 2018: 13.00–18.00, £60. email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
Course: September–December 2018
About the Sanskrit language
Sanskrit is the language of ancient India, the mother of English, and the langauge in which all the yogic texts were composed. Fabled for its mystical power, each letter holds a unique resonance. Feel this resonance for yourself by learning how to correctly pronouce these letters.
The study of the Sanskrit language is in itself a spiritual discipline. Our mind tends to be only as free as the language in which it is has been moulded by. Engaging with the Sanskrit language has the capacity to allow a wisdom and a knowing outside of our normal thinking processes to arise within us.
The Sanskrit language is an aid to:
- Understanding in depth the wisdom of the Upanishads and the Yoga Sutras- Understanding spiritual concepts which are not capable of accurate expression in English
- Purifying the mind through sound
- Understanding the laws of creation
- Learning sound meditations effective in tuning the mind so that it becomes a suitable vehicle for self-realisation
- Learning much of the value about one’s own language
Unit K5 Arena Design Centre
71 Ashfield Road
Course Material - elements of the below to be covered in the May workshop
- Learn to pronouce the Sanskrit alphabet and how to read the English transliteration.
- Experience the meditative quality of the 16 vowel sounds, known as the ‘divine mothers’.
- Learn how to sound the bīja mantraḥ.
- Learn to chant sections of the Yoga Sūtra, the major philosophical text of yoga.
- Learn to pronounce āsana names, Gods and Goddesses correctly.
- Learn about the origins of the Sanskrit language: the Maheśvara Sutras.
- Learn Vedic chants including the Gāytrī Mantrah.
- Learn about the four stages of speech; the signiﬁcance of the gross, subtle and causal in the Sanskrit language.
- The signiﬁcance of karma in the Sanskrit language
.- Learn about the signiﬁcance of the Vedas for deepening our knowledge of yoga.
Price of taster workshop: £60
Book in advance only, contact email@example.com
Price of course: £370, or early bird of £320 if booked by March 12th 2018.
Hand outs from my book: Sanskrit for yoga students
Course dates: Saturdays
Saturday 29th September
Course times: 13.00-18.00